Getting to know data security terminology is just another way to prepare and protect yourself from scammers. Check out some key terms below!
- Phishing: Unsolicited emails containing malicious content, including links to websites
- Spear Phishing: Personalized emails, indicting a level of research on the target was performed to help ensure the email appears legitimate
- Vishing: Unsolicited phone calls attempting to gain information. These calls may even have individuals visit malicious websites
- Smishing: Unsolicited text messages that may contain a scam website or phone number
- Pharming: The tactic of redirecting a user to a spoofed website that mimics the appearance of a legitimate one
Regardless what tactic a scammer is using, the key defense remains the same: Do not engage with unknown individuals and organizations and never give out your personal information to anyone.